Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Journey Begins (Again)

The journey to Bangladesh began early as I awoke Thursday morning before the 3:00 AM alarm went off.  I awoke with tears and a spirit of brokenness as the presence of God interrupted my sleep.  I repented before God because I had been unkind the last few days under the pressure to accomplish the many tasks prior to the trip.  I am so thankful we serve a merciful, loving God who quickly forgives us when we ask.  "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  I John 1:9.

The flight from Birmingham to Dallas was a quiet one with no seatmates.  I appreciated this quiet time alone as the tears began to fall.  I felt sad leaving behind loved ones, yet I felt glad because my heart will soon be united with a land and people I love.  A love that God gave me.

The flight from Dallas to Dubai was a LONG one at 14 hours.  My window view was the airplane wing, the seats were tiny and I felt claustrophobic (imagine my complaining about something being too little, lol!)  My two seatmates, both female, were not very friendly, although they were certainly not rude.  I slept most of the flight, that is, when I was not eating.  The disorientation began to set in as I ate dinner for breakfast and breakfast for dinner while crossing time zones in the air.

As we started to land in Dubai, I looked out the window (it was mostly wing, but I could see a small portion of the earth) and was quite surprised to see flat land with desert sand everywhere.  Yes, I know the Middle East is mostly desert.  It's just that I live in an area surrounded by mountains, green grass and lush trees.  It was a new and different view to see dry, brown sand instead.

The Dubai International Airport has to be one of the most beautiful and wealthy airports in the world.  There were people from all nationalities in the airport, but it was interesting to see the Arabs in their traditional dress, especially the men.  I wanted to take pictures, but photographs were forbidden.  (I found this photo on the internet).

Upon arrival to Dubai, I got a free 30-day United Arab Emirates visa, hotel room at Copthorne Hotel, and two meals as part of my airline ticket.  The hotel was nice, clean and modern; the middle eastern and Indian food was great.  The staff (predominately Indian people) were helpful, but I felt a little out of place in this middle eastern culture.  I said a prayer for those who are called to take the gospel of Jesus Christ to this region of the world.

In Dubai, I was completely disoriented regarding the time.  My computer said it was 5:53 AM Friday. My phone said it was 6:53 AM Friday.  The time in Dubai was 3:53 PM Friday.  The time in Dhaka was 5:53 PM Friday.  In my mind, it was Thursday afternoon.  What time is it?!? LOL.  Seriously, I became so confused, I did not sleep well.  I was afraid I would set the alarm to the wrong time zone, oversleep and miss my flight.  After a short nap, I went to the airport early so I could have free unlimited internet service (internet was NOT part of the free hotel deal; it was costly).

The flight from Dubai to Dhaka was a short and pleasant one.  My lone seatmate was a male who did not speak English.  There were two women in front of me dressed in India/Bangladesh saris.  They both peeked through the crack in the seats and peered at me.  I smiled.  They quickly turned back around and started chattering, chiding each other for being seen by me.  However, one of the women peeked again at me.  This time I smiled and waved.  Again, she quickly turned around. Yet, she dared to look at me once more, this time with a slight smile and brief hand wave.  My heart was completely overwhelmed with God's love for these precious people.  The journey to Bangladesh is off to a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment