Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Genuine Foot-Washing


The area of Mirpur where I live has a village/city feel to it.  It transports me back in time, almost all the way to the Bible days.  Walking the dusty roads between my apartment and the Bible school, I often think, “This is what it must have been like in Jesus’ day.”  So many of the eastern customs here are similar to the ones found in the Bible.  For example, the Bangladeshi people shed their shoes at the front door before entering each home.  I can easily imagine a foot-washing pot near the front door and how refreshing it must have been to have your feet washed upon entering the home after walking through the hot, dusty roads. 

Last night, I walked outside to go to Bro. Peter’s house (located inside the school) and it was raining.  I have to admit, I only thought it rained during monsoon season, not any other time, so I was totally unprepared for the downpour.  I walked anyway, knowing I would eventually have to do it.  When I arrived at their house, Bro. Peter and his wife Sis. Tuney immediately went to work drying me off with towels.  They sat me down in a chair and Sis. Tuney began washing my feet.  This was a genuine foot-washing, not the kind performed at church once a year where everyone becomes uncomfortable with the unfamiliarity of it.  I simply sat there, so deeply touched by her demonstration of love towards me as she washed and dried my feet, and then ended the act by kissing my feet.

The entire scenario reminded me of Jesus washing His disciples’ feet as recorded in John 13:4-9.  The disciples were not unfamiliar with the foot-washing process; it was Jesus’ servant role they were unfamiliar with.  More than likely, they were still envisioning Jesus as establishing His Kingdom on earth in the near future.  Acting as a servant was out of character for a soon-to-be King.  When Jesus came to Simon Peter to wash his feet, Peter adamantly refused.  Jesus answered him, “If I wash thee not, thou has no part with me.”  The thought of being separated from His Lord struck to the heart of Peter and he quickly responded, “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.”

I remember about a year ago, I thought God was calling me to a remote area of Northeast India.  I had already applied for the Associate in Missions program and was scheduled to go to New Delhi, a large metropolitan area of India.  I absolutely refused to go to the remote area!  I balked.  He left.  I spent a few weeks in misery without His Presence until one day I read the above mentioned story of Jesus washing His disciples’ feet.  He gently spoke to me, “If I lead you not, you have no part with Me.”  The thought of being separated from My Lord struck to the heart of me and I quickly repented.  “Yes, Lord, lead me not only to the remote area of India, but wherever You desire.  Just don’t let me be separated from Your Presence.  Not now.  Not ever.”

No, God did not send me to the remote area of Northeast India and neither did I go to the city of New Delhi.  Instead, I ended up in-between the two places in a country called Bangladesh.  So, as I sat there having my feet washed by a precious sister in this God-chosen place called Bangladesh, I recalled the lesson learned from the Biblical foot-washing scene between Jesus and Peter: Always say YES to Him, no matter what, no matter where.  Let Him lead you and He will wash your feet, your hands and your head with His Presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment