Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Weekend

It's been a busy weekend.  Thursday night Sis. Corbin and I started a Women's Bible study, "More to Life" in my apartment.  Mary, one of the ladies we met the first day of cleaning, attended.  It was a relaxed study filled with "firsts."  It was Sis. Corbin's first time to teach this particular study.  Partway into the lesson, she decided I should co-teach with her, which was a first for me.  Surprisingly, it flowed naturally between us.  Also, Sis. Corbin taught part of the lesson in Bangla, another first, since Mary knows very little English. Mary read scriptures from the Bangla Bible.  The Presence of God was so sweet in the study as we prayed for Mary and her family.  I cannot wait until we meet again next week!

We had a baptism service Friday morning in which five people from the Nuton Bajar church were baptized.  Sorry, there are no pictures.  I tried, but Bro. Peter baptized those people so FAST, all I could snap was the  back of heads.

Youth gathering
Friday at noon, several people came to my apartment for a youth gathering.  It was specifically geared to reach the university guys living next door, which six of them attended.  I believe there are plans to start an English as  a Second Language (ESL) class at the church/school to help these guys learn English.  It's these kinds of opportunities that opens doors for salvation in the future.

There are approximately 150 churches and/or preaching points in Bangladesh, with three churches in Dhaka: Nuton Bajar, Impact, and Mirpur.  On Friday nights, the church in Nuton Bajar (New Market) meet.  It is conducted in the Bangla language.  This is a poor church whose people are mostly slum dwellers.  Bro. Abraham Gain is the pastor.  He began reaching out to the Muslim children in the area.  The children began attending the church services faithfully, and later, the adults began to attend.

On Saturday nights, there is church at Impact Worship Center.  This is an English-speaking, international church which meet in the Corbins' home.  Currently, there are people from South Africa, South Korea, Uganda, Kenya, Sierra Lione, America and Bangladesh.  Bro. Corbin pastors this growing work that has the potential to impact other parts of the world for the Kingdom of God.
Matthew preaching, Bro. Corbin translating

On Sunday nights, there is church in Mirpur, pastored by Bro. Peter Biswas.  This service is conducted in the Bangla language.  It is interesting to me to sing familiar songs from home in a different language.  (It also helping me learn Bangla since I started classes last week.)  This is the church I will be primarily working with since it is located near my apartment.

"You Are Good All the Time" in Bangla

All of these churches have dynamic worship services and great preaching.  God's Spirit is moving, people are being baptized in Jesus Name, and people are being filled with the Holy Ghost.  It reminds me of home.  Wait! I AM home!

No comments:

Post a Comment