Tuesday, March 5, 2013

First Visit to Mirpur

Sis Corbin bargaining for my dining table
We traveled to the Mirpur area of Dhaka today where the Bible school and my apartment are located.  While Bro. Corbin taught classes, Sis. Corbin, Matthew and I went shopping for furniture.  Shopping takes extra time as we must bargain for the final prices of the items.  It was fun watching Matthew and Sis. Corbin bargain with the store owners in Bangla.  I think shopping in a foreign country such as Bangladesh provides a more personal and relational way of doing business.  In America, you hand your money to the cashier, take your item and walk away.  Most likely, there was no personal interaction between the two parties while conducting business.  Here, the shopping experience is more intimate.  I definitely enjoy shopping in Bangladesh.

Before I left the states, one friend gave me some strong advice, "Do what the missionary says!  If he or she tells you to stand by the banana tree, then stand by the banana tree."  I sure came close to following some similar advice today from Sis. Corbin.  She and I were riding in a rickshaw, Matthew was in a separate rickshaw in front of us. We turned onto a different street and accidentally came in contact with some protesters. Sis. Corbin grabbed my arm, stood up and said, "Let's go!"  She's yelling at the driver to stop.  Matthew is standing up in his moving rickshaw yelling back at us, "IT'S OK!  IT'S OK!"  Turns out, the marchers were just peaceful-minded people protesting the protest.  As humorous as it is now, it could have been a more serious situation and my obedience to the missionary's directive would have been crucial.

Matthew mopping my apt floor
After shopping, Sis. Corbin, Matthew and I walked to my apartment.  It was my first time to see it.  It's going to be a cute place once the dirt is gone and the furniture arrives.  While we were cleaning the place, a 12 year old girl walks in the open door and says to me, "Hello. Are you going to live here?"  I was rather surprised that she was so friendly and spoke such good English.  I liked her instantly.  We also learned there were 12 males living in the apartments down the hall.  At first, we weren't sure what to think of this situation.  It could either be a very bad arrangement or a very good one.  We found out they were all engineering students at a local university.  After some of the students came over and talked with us, we determined it was going to be a very good situation.

While we were talking to the students in the hallway, the next door neighbor came home and we talked to him a few minutes.  His wife works for Bangladesh Sesame Street.  He, too, was friendly.  Next, a lady from the 6th floor stopped by to say hello.  When I took her hand to greet her, she did not let go of my hand.   Oh my, I could feel the love of God flowing between us and I didn't even know her!  She took me upstairs to meet her husband and 7 year old daughter.  Her husband told me if I had any problems to come to them, they would be there for me.  I appreciated their kindness and offer of protection.

When I returned to my apartment, the next door neighbor whose wife works for Sesame Street, came over carrying his 3 year old daughter.  He told us she was hard-of-hearing and expressed his concern for her future.  He had seen my hearing aids and knew I could identify with his child.  My heart was instantly connected with this man's concerns.  I plan to spend more time with this family once I get settled in.

After he left, I went back to cleaning the bathroom and cried.  There were so many open doors of evangelism in this one building!  God moved me across the world to reach them with the gospel of Jesus Christ.  The responsibility is a great one, but so is the joy.  I have fallen in love with the Bangladeshi people!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful. So excited about how God is using you. Can't wait to see what else is in store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy your place is safe and filled with friendly, caring neighbors. Can't wait to see pictures! Love you.

    ReplyDelete