Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Missionaries: Idols or Heroes?

“Prior to arriving in Bangladesh, what were your expectations of missionaries and the mission field? How did it meet your expectations after your arrival?” Someone recently asked me this. It was an honest question that required an honest answer.

My expectations of missionaries were the same as the majority of people: I idolized them. I thought they were super spiritual people who eagerly followed the call of God to live in a foreign country. We erroneously believe because many souls are baptized in Jesus’ Name and filled with the Holy Ghost on the mission field that a missionary is living a super spiritual life. In reality, they are not super spiritual. They are actually living a normal Christian life, the one Jesus expects all of us to live. Baptizing people in Jesus’ Name and seeing them filled with the Holy Ghost is the norm, not the exception. Seeing the sick healed, the dead raised, the demonic delivered is the norm, not the exception.

Another erroneously belief about missionaries is their day-to-day life. Although it was not my belief, some people imagine that missionaries live in a mud hut in the wild jungles with no electricity or running water. There are a select few who live in these conditions, but the majority of the missionaries live in regular homes and/or apartments with electricity and running water. You would be surprised how much their lives are like the American lifestyle, yet different in so many ways. They may have a washing machine, but no dryer. They may have a stove, but no oven. Their bed may have a mosquito net over it.

When I visited the mission field of India for the first time two years ago, my expectations were dashed. In fact, I was almost disillusioned. One visit to the mission field and you will quickly discover that things are done differently in the foreign church than in America. Not everything we do as Christians is Biblically based; much of our administration is culturally based. (Please understand, I am NOT referring to doctrine, which is Biblically based, but to the day-to-day life of living for God). It took a while for me to sort out the differences.

However, I saw one thing on the mission field that stuck with me: the vast need for laborers. I also saw myself fulfilling that need. I could see myself being a Sunday School teacher, teaching Bible studies, mentoring young women, teaching in the Bible School, working in the office, raising funds, etc. You know there is a call of God upon your life when you not only see the need, but see yourself fulfilling that need.

Upon my arrival to Bangladesh, my expectations of missionaries and the mission field were much more realistic. I no longer idolized missionaries. I had a better understanding of their day-to-day life. As I listen to various stories, I realize the great sacrificial price that missionaries pay to fulfill the call of God to live in another country. I also hear the joy and gladness in fulfilling that calling. I love, respect and admire missionaries. They are no longer my idols, but they will always be my heroes of faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment