Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Friend for the Journey

My pastor asked everyone to pray for my protection while in Bangladesh when DeVonn volunteered to go with me and protect me. He’s 9 years old. It was such a sweet, endearing gesture.

No, DeVonn will not be going with me to Bangladesh.  However, God saw fit to send me a friend for the journey. Fran is a single lady, same age as me, from Wisconsin. She will be going to Bangladesh the same time period as me; we will be rooming together. This will be the first AIM assignment for both of us.

I've lived alone most of my life, but living alone in an unfamiliar country is an altogether different experience.  I trusted the missionaries and knew they had my safety and security in mind when choosing the apartment.  If they thought it was safe for me to live alone, then I simply had to tough it out.  My only concern was the extreme loneliness I would experience.  I had already envisioned ways to deal with the loneliness, but God had a better plan: a friend.

Here we are, two single women, both willing to go to a different country alone because God called us to do so. Yet, God, in His amazing kindness, put us together for the journey. I am so thankful for my new friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment