Tuesday, March 12, 2013

My First Night in the Apartment

Last night was my first night staying at the apartment.  I had very good company as Liza and Margaret, two young ladies from the church, stayed the night with me.  I was so glad they were there because I was feeling kind of frustrated with all the various adjustments of living life in another country.  Having lived in Bangladesh all their lives, they take for granted the things I'm trying to figure out.

Home office
For instance, I had gone alone the day before to purchase internet for my laptop.  It was my first business transaction without someone else translating for me into Bangla.  I was so proud of myself!  That is, until I tried to use the internet in my new apartment.  I was frustrated because the internet was soooo slow, IF it worked at all!  I was mentally berating myself because I had gone alone and I probably had not purchased the right internet speed, etc.  Liza and Margaret said, "Let's go outside on the balcony and see if it works."  Lo and behold, it worked!!  Now, I have an outside office with a great (or maybe not) view.

View from the balcony
We purchased my bed and mattress a week ago.  However, when it was delivered, the mattress did not fit the bed.  The company was going to deliver a new one, but I would have to pay for delivery.  I had already paid delivery twice to these guys in the past, once for the bed, second for the mattress.  Now, they wanted to charge yet another delivery fee for something that they messed up?!  The whole system agitated me.  The missionaries told me, "That's just the way business is done here.  It's not right, it's not fair, you have to adjust to it."

The Mirpur area (where I am living now) of Dhaka is very different from the Banani area (where I had been living).  I had to make a lot of adjustments today.  Even simple things like learning my address and phone number felt overwhelming and I wanted to cry.  For a few minutes there, I doubted my ability to live alone and be independent in this different country.

Sis. Corbin has been very helpful to me with the adjustments.  As she shared her first experience of living in Bangladesh 20 years ago, I felt like a wimp.  I have it so easy compared to her experience, which was living in a village area with no internet, no telephone, no air conditioner, and no hot water.  All of these things are available to me if I want them.  When she arrived, no one spoke English, only Bangla.  Now, about 50% of the people in Dhaka area speak English in addition to Bangla.

As I said earlier, I felt overwhelmed by the adjustments and ashamed of complaining about life on the mission field.  Would I trade it all for the comforts of home?  NEVER!  My heart has been captured by these beautiful people and in the words of Sis. Corbin, "If I was given the choice to do my life over, I would do it all again."

No comments:

Post a Comment