Saturday, March 19, 2011

Alabama Ladies Conference

I just returned from the Alabama Ladies Conference.  The speakers were Cheryl Riddick, missionary to Cameroon, Africa and Vonnie Lopez, pastor's wife in Louisiana.  God used them to minister to me emotionally and spiritually.

Cheryl Riddick spoke about her experience upon arrival to the mission field twenty five years ago.  She felt a burden for the lost souls of Cameroon as well as a burden for her lost family members back home in the United States.  She felt so torn between the two burdens.  She went to God in prayer and asked, "What do I do?  I can't be in both places at once."  He told her, "You take care of My Business in Cameroon and I'll take care of yours in the United States."  She took Him at His Word and began to focus on the souls in Cameroon while continuing to pray for the souls in the United States. Over the course of time, her entire family was saved.  I cried because someone understood and put words to how I feel right now: torn.  My heart is in two places: India and Birmingham.  I am here in Birmingham, but feel a strong calling to India.  For now, it's okay for my heart to be in two places.  God will unite my heart in His timing.

Vonnie Lopez talked about claiming our mountains like Caleb did in Joshua 14:6-14.  The mountain was promised to Caleb earlier by Moses.  Forty years later, as Joshua was passing out the inheritance to the children of Israel, Caleb laid claim on his promise.  It was not a "name it and claim it" deal.  Caleb did not expect God to hand it to him on a silver platter.  All Caleb wanted was permission from Joshua to fight the giants in the mountain to make it his own.  He had maintained his strength and fighting power for forty years in preparation to take the mountain promised to him.

As we all prayed and asked God to give us our personal mountains, I asked to be debt-free.  I am willing to do whatever I have to do to become debt-free but I cannot do it without His Help.  I am tired of being the tail and not the head as God promised (see Deuteronomy 28:13).  I want to be the lender and not the borrower (see Deuteronomy 15:6).  I want to use my money to benefit the Kingdom of God. 

Vonnie was a dynamic and uplifting speaker, but what struck me most was her involvement with an organization called Jordan International Aid (JIA).  In-between sessions, I looked it up on the internet and it's an all-volunteer organization ran by Apostolics who carry out various humanitarian projects all over the world, including India.  This opened up a possibility I had not considered before.  I could continue to live and work in Birmingham, and if I were involved with JIA, I could take 1-3 missions trips per year to help in other countries.  This would allow me to work both fields.

Another thing that excited me about JIA was its potential to help Happiness Home.  You see, I'd been praying and asking God to lead me to the right organization.  Not just any organization would do because I did not want to jeopardize the delicate nature of Happiness Home's ministry.  One wrong move and all those precious people could be sent back to Burma where they could die without access to medication.  I felt JIA was the right organization so I contacted them via email to find out more.

All in all, it was a good conference.  God used it to give me peace, encouragement and direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment