Friday, March 25, 2011

Truth in Love

I have a dear friend who tells me the truth in love.  God has used her many times to reveal a hidden flaw in my character.  Today was one of those days. 

My church as a whole has treated the trip to India as a vacation.  They have not understood my calling, my burden at all.  Although I don't understand, I have chosen not to allow it to cause an offense.  My dear friend's words revealed my own flaws in the situation:
"I realize your leaders may not share your burden and may not be as supportive as you wish.  But remember, it's NOT about them backing your vision or passion - it's about your faith in God's authority.  Wholeheartedly serve your church. If you cannot have a love for souls in your own community, then saying you have a burden for a foreign land will not be taken seriously by anyone! The FRUIT of the spirit is far more important right now.  God is looking at your attitude and submission. When you look past their lack of support and you serve them with all your heart - then you WILL receive clear direction and hear from God.  He will open the right doors and bless you financially to go carry out your burden for India.  God will not forget you!"
Her beautiful words of wisdom were exactly what I needed to hear.  Even though my church does not share my burden, it does not diminish the fact God has given it to me.  I trust my leadership.  To be honest, even though I serve my leadership and I do things to support them, my heart is not one of submission to them. This is not pleasing to God.  I will pray for a spirit and attitude of total submission and love for my pastor and his wife.

God has given ME the burden for India.  Not my pastor, not my church...but ME.  I have been wrong to expect others to share my heartbeat.  And just because God has given me this particular burden and allowed me to experience another culture does not make me better than them.  He's leading me on a different path than theirs, not a better one, just a different one.  Lord, I need humility in addition to submission and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment