Thursday, January 6, 2011

Plans Gone Awry

Although this trip is unfolding according to schedule, it is not happening as originally planned.  (Since when do things go according to our plans when God is involved?!)  Originally a friend and I were going together for the entire two weeks to visit Happiness Home, a place for people with AIDS/HIV located in the city of Churachandpur in the state of Manipur.  Then we found out about restrictions in Manipur which only allowed people to enter into the area for 10 days, including travel time.  This meant we would only be able to spend 8 days at Happiness Home. I really wanted to stay in India longer, so I contacted the regional missionary to inquire about other opportunities. So...according to God's plan, not mine, I will be going to New Delhi, India alone to work in the Bible college assisting with some much needed office work. I do not like the idea of going alone, but it's comforting to know my friend will join me in New Delhi a week later.  Together, we will finish up any remaining office work and do some sight-seeing.  Whoo Hoo!! Let the fun begin!!  (Imagine my delight and surprise to discover Taj Mahal is located near New Delhi!  I've always dreamed of visiting that magnificent place!)  After a few days in New Delhi, we will travel together to the state of Manipur to visit Happiness Home.  To think, I will finally meet these precious people who captured my heart in their pictures a few months ago.  I can hardly wait!  The love of God is so evident in their lives.  Afterwards, my friend and I will travel the long journey home together.  Our lives will never be the same.

There was one point when my friend's passport was delayed.  It introduced me to the very real possibility of going to India alone for the entire trip.  After prayer and counseling, I told God, "This trip is not turning out as originally planned.  But, if You want me to go to India alone for the entire trip, I will do it.  I'd really rather not, but if that is Your plan for me, I will go alone."  After that prayer of surrender, my friend received her passport, then her visa processed in an unbelievable four days!  (Mine took six weeks.)  We then applied for the Protected Area Permit (kind of like a second visa) to enter the state of Manipur.  Just when we were ready to process our paperwork, Manipur lifted the restrictions, thus not requiring the permit for foreigners to enter the area.  Is that perfect timing or what?

I am so glad God is in control of this trip and not me.  It's going to be an amazing journey!!

1 comment:

  1. yayy! how exciting!! He KNOWS the plans He has for YOU! For this TRIP and beyond :) LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete