Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Over the Hill

Today is my birthday.  The REAL one, not the spiritual one.  Today I am 50 years old. The BIG 5-0.  It is a milestone often celebrated with gloomy black candles, black napkins, black plates, black cups, black balloons, black drinks and black cake...you get the picture. Some 50th birthday parties even have caskets as part of the decor. Now THAT is gloomy!!

There's an old saying for those turning 50, "You're over the hill.  It's all downhill from here."  If it is downhill from here, I intend to hang on and enjoy the ride with life and laughter.  Lord knows I've had plenty of gloomy days the first half century of my life.  I've experienced trauma and seen more than my share of real-life caskets at real funerals during the first 20 years of my life.  I spent the next 30 years healing from the traumas and losses.  "He sent his word and healed them from their destructions."  Psalms 107:20.  Today I am healed and whole, ready to embrace life and celebrate.

There is a young man at church named George who has a very positive outlook on life.  His outlook is not determined by his status in life, which is considered minimal by some standards.  His outlook is determined by the joy of the Lord.  George truly believes each day he lives is the best day of his life and that tomorrow will be even better.  Whenever I'm having a good day, I smile and call it a "George Day."

I believe the second half century of my life will be filled with George Days, not gloomy days.  HANG ON!  The ride is on!! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment