Wednesday, February 16, 2011

First Day in Delhi

I spent the first day sleeping until almost noon.  Then, it was a wild taxi ride to downtown Delhi where we (Bro. Scism, Bro. Thangboi and I) ate at a real Indian restaurant.  I must admit, I actually like Indian food.  I've learned to eat with no utensils.  I haven't quite mastered the "right hand only" trick yet.  I still use the left hand to push the food into the right hand for eating.  Don't worry, they give you a bowl of warm water afterward to wash your fingers.

Next, we went to a shopping area to haggle for the best money exchange rate.  This was indeed a wild and fun experience!  We checked out the exchange rate of two different vendors, haggling with one of them, before heading into a mens' clothing store.  I was not following the logic of this at all.  Clarity and understanding came when we entered a room in the back of the store where a money exchange office was located.  Bro. Scism, Bro. Thangboi, and the owner bargained over the price of my American money.  I quietly watched in amazement and amusement.  We agreed on an exchange rate and I pulled out my money.  When the owner saw twenty dollar bills instead of one hundred dollar bills he lowered the rate he originally quoted me.  I stood up to leave.  Obviously, it was a smart move on my part because he honored the original quote and exchanged my money.  "My momma told me you better shop around."

Delhi is chaotic and noisy, yet vibrant and full of life.  Take the traffic for example.  People drive on the left side of the road (although that's not the reason it's chaotic.)  There are boundaries, such as painted lines and sidewalks, but people ignore them.  Buses, taxis, cars, bicycles, people and dogs (I haven't seen a cow yet) share the same road.  It is mass confusion with seemingly no order, yet amazingly there are no accidents.  I asked aloud how this could be.  Bro. Scism told me the rule is simple, if you don't want to get hit you yield to the other vehicle.  Hmmmm...seems like there is a life lesson in that concept.

A Delhi Taxi
A REAL Indian Restaurant
Warm lime water to wash your fingers
 
10,000 Rupees

2 comments:

  1. AWWWW, no pics of y'all eating; would love to see u in action :o) At least u can use your hands...what a sight if all u could use is your mouth, lol!!!!!!!!
    Luv ya, Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're there safely, Cynthia! It's great to hear about your adventures during your first days there. We're all thinking about you and praying for you back home!

    ReplyDelete