Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Typical Day

I know...you're begging for pictures and deep introspective thoughts in this blog. Well, it's not happening. Let me share with you my typical day right now. I am staying at Scism Christian University in Delhi. The students, which happens to be all male this year, are finishing up week one of a two-week Masters program. Classes start at 7:15A and end at 9:30P each day. My office/bedroom is right outside their classroom. I love the fact that I walk a few steps and I'm at work. No traffic jams or wild taxi rides. :)

The college has a huge and fascinating library of books and videos. I am entering these into a spreadsheet so they will have a record of their collection. I will also be streamlining or linking their academic transcripts so that the marks (grades) will only have to be entered once instead of multiple times. Bro. Thangboi, office secretary, IT person and business haggler has done a great job as secretary. (By the way, THANKS to all of you who made the used laptop possible. The joy on Bro. Thangboi's face when he saw it was worth it all!)

Meals are served at the college; I eat breakfast and dinner there. The master chef, Gopal, delivers my meal to me on a silver platter. He must think I need fattened up because he piles the rice high on my plate. Every afternoon at 4:00P, he brings me hot Chai tea. I was pleasantly surprised one day when I wandered into the kitchen while Gopal was cooking. Until that moment, I was unaware of how my meals were prepared. He smiled at me (he does not speak English) as I watched him cook.

The students break from 12:30P to 4:30P. This is the highlight of my day because Bro. Scism walks to the nearby shopping districts for lunch and I get to tag along. I love the walks through the chaotic, yet vibrant life of Delhi people while listening to a mini-lesson on Indian culture along the way. The food is great and I've eaten several different dishes with no disappointments.

I promise to write more interesting blogs with exciting pictures in the near future.
Me at work in the office.
Bro. Thangboi, secretary, IT person and haggler expert.
Bro. Thangboi playing with the new laptop.

A smiling Gopal preparing a meal.
Afternoon Chai tea.  Note the empty cup.
One of the many shops on my daily walks during lunch.





1 comment:

  1. Your days sound incredible! I love that you get tea every afternoon. Sounds very British!

    ReplyDelete