Monday, April 22, 2013

What is Surrounding You?

This week I am staying in another area of Dhaka.  This afternoon I walked alone to a nearby park.  It was so peaceful and quiet with the trees and pond as the sun set in the evening sky.  Nature has such a calming effect on me.  Unfortunately, the only nature I can find in Mirpur, the area of Dhaka I live in, are the dirt streets.  It was truly relaxing as I sat there listening to the sounds of birds chirping and geese honking.  The park reminded me of home in America.  Not that I am homesick, because I am not, but because parks were one of those pleasures of life I enjoyed in America.

As I sat there enjoying the serenity of it all, some black birds began to land near me as I sat quietly on the park bench. It was an eerie feeling as they kept landing, one by one, surrounding me like I was a dead carcass.  I almost froze in fear from the entire experience.  I knew there was only one solution to the situation: movement.  As I stood up with my arms outstretched, the birds scattered back to the skies where they came from.

The strange experience caused me reflect upon my life lately.  Birds of doubt, fear, worry, self-pity and loneliness have been surrounding me threatening to eat up my carcass.  But, as I stand upon the Word of God, those birds have to scatter and flee from me.

What is surrounding you today?  Is it loneliness, fear, a wayward child, an unfaithful spouse, or a sick parent?  Whatever it is, put your faith and confidence in Jesus Christ.  You cannot just sit there hoping the situation will get better.  You have to stand up and put some movement to your faith by praying the Word of God regarding your situation.  When you do, those black birds will have to flee.

Prayer:
Father, I come to You today because my life is surrounded by black birds of prey whose goal is to eat up the peace and joy you have given me.  You said in Your Word that when the wicked, even my enemies and my foes come upon me to eat up my flesh, they will stumble and fall.  Father, as I stand upon the truth of Your Word today, I pray that You will arise and let Your enemies be scattered and let them that hate You flee.  I praise You and thank You for Your Presence and deliverance today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment