Friday, April 5, 2013

Kolkata - Children's Home

We arrived in Kolkata, India last night.  This is my first time to visit the city.  Today, we went shopping at a Christian bookstore, which was nice since there are none of those in Bangladesh. I bought a Hindi Bible, something I’ve always wanted.  Most of the signs around Kolkata are in Hindi, Bangla and English.  I was surprised at how easily I could read some of the Hindi words.  Unfortunately, I need to learn the Bangla language, not Hindi.

We also visited Mother Teresa’s home.  Before I left the States, I had read many books about the life of Mother Teresa.  She was an amazing woman who gave all for the cause of Christ as she knew Him.  I am truly inspired by her sacrifice and compassion.  I am sad she wasted her life in Catholicism.  (Yes, I said that!)  One book I read told how she lost her mind at the end of her life because she had not heard the voice of God since she was very young when He told her to go to India.  It saddens me to know she cried out for a personal relationship with Him.  She so desperately wanted to hear His Voice.  Mother Teresa shared the LOVE of Jesus with many people, but the GOSPEL of Jesus Christ with none.  Lord, may I share the love AND the gospel of Jesus with others.

Quiet child in the middle.
We visited the Missionaries of Charity’s (Mother Teresa's organization) children’s home. They allowed us to take pictures of the children.  They were so precious, but so wild!  They are apparently accustomed to greeting people all day every day.  They were saying in Bangla, “Hello. How are you? What is your name?”  There was one little girl who did not act wild and crazy like the others.  She reached through the gate, quietly took my hand and looked at me with her deep brown eyes, not saying a word.  I knelt down to get eye level with her and we quietly locked eyes.  My heart was instantly captured!  I wanted to take her home with me!  I took her picture, but no camera can ever capture her quiet beautiful spirit.

Silly laughing child.
We walked to another area of the home when I noticed a young girl lying in a bed wearing a body cast from the waist down.  While Fran interacted with the children in the room, I stood by this girl’s bed.  Without hesitation, I reached out and laid my hand on her face and began to pray for her.  She laid there so quietly looking at me with her beautiful eyes soaking in the prayer as I prayed.  I asked her if I could take her picture and she nodded yes.  But, to my delight and surprise, she busted out laughing each time I took her picture.  She would be so calm between each shot but would laugh out loud during each picture.  Then, she wanted to take my picture, so I let her.  What a joyful time it has been with these precious children! 

No comments:

Post a Comment