Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sunset in Dhaka

The sun has set on my time in Dhaka, Bangladesh.  A sad day indeed.

My visa was expiring soon.  Two of the other AIMers here did not get their Tourist visas renewed.  They were told to apply again.  Another person (not of our organization) was denied a visa renewal and could not regain entry into Bangladesh.  I could take the risk of going to India to get the Tourist visa renewed but it would be a costly trip.  If the Bangladesh commission in India refused the renewal, I could get a 30 day Visa on Arrival at the Dhaka airport.  I had considered applying for a student visa which is good for one year.  However, it was very costly (over $1,000).  If I got the student visa, I would still need to raise the funds needed to stay longer in Bangladesh as my current budget was only good through August.

I wrestled with the decision for days.  It was a hard decision, but I decided not to renew my Tourist visa.  I decided to return to the United States instead.  There were hurried, tearful goodbyes as I prepared to take a quick flight out. 19-year old Liza hugged me and wept big drops of tears.  I held her and wept in return. She spoke the words so adequately, "Sister, you are taking a part of me with you.  A part of me will always be missing."  So true.  This country and her people captivated me with their genuine friendliness and servant-hood spirit.  A part of me will always remain in Bangladesh.

Sunset in Dhaka, Bangladesh

No comments:

Post a Comment