Monday, June 10, 2013

"Sister Moses"

Lately, I've been spending more time with Sis. Miller, one of the missionaries here in Bangladesh.  She has a very calm, generous and compassionate disposition.  She takes the time to speak to each person she interacts with whether it is the tailor, rickshaw driver, restaurant manager, or the beggar on the street.  I nicknamed her "Sister Moses" because it's like watching the red sea part when she walks into the room.  When the people see her, they smile, bow in respect, then clear off the furniture, making space for her to sit.

With my recent epiphany regarding beggars as real human beings, Sis. Miller's interactions with them amazes me.  She truly sees the beggars as real people as she tells me about them, "This elderly lady has the most beautiful face.  She must have been a wonderful child.  I wonder what caused her to become a beggar.  She deserves a much better life."  I watched her as she interacted with a young beggar mother holding a baby boy.  When Sis. Miller learned that the lady actually had twin boys, she excitedly shared with her that she too had twin boys, instantly bonding herself with the young beggar mother.

Sis. Miller gives generously to the beggars, whether it be food, water or money.  She knows many of them by name.  So, when I saw this picture on the internet, I immediately thought, "I could see Sis. Miller doing this."  Then I asked myself, "How many times have I walked by people, especially beggars, not caring about them at all?"  I justify my actions by telling myself, "You can't be nice to all the beggars.  You have to draw the line somewhere."  Where does one draw the line in demonstrating the love of God to souls?  There is no such line in the Kingdom of God.  Please pray for me that I will feel more compassion for souls as I walk the streets of Bangladesh.


No comments:

Post a Comment