Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Rest

Absolutely nothing is happening on the home front.  I’ve raised very little money of the necessary budget.   The car has not sold and I’m still stuck in an apartment lease, among other things.  You know, I’m not stressed at all about it.  It will all happen according to God’s timing and plan.  Last time, I had several emotional meltdowns as I stressed over the preparations and finances.  I laugh now because the last time it was a 3 week trip and cost $3,000.  I am now facing a 6-8 month trip that costs $13,000.  Is it the impossibility of the task that gives me peace?  Is it my knowing only God and God alone can do this?

Three weeks ago, I wrote down on a piece of paper everything that needed to happen prior to my leaving for India.  I then placed the paper on the altar at church and left it there, literally.  I vowed not to pray another prayer over those needs.  I promised God I would praise Him and trust Him to supply the needs…all of them.  It was not resignation, not an attitude of “Well, there’s nothing I can do about it anyway.”  It was a deliberate and complete act of placing my trust in Him and His timing.

There is a powerful principle in the Bible that few of His people practice.  It is the principle of Rest.  Rest is not the same as relaxation.  Resting in Him involves prayer and the Word.  It involves praise, worship and adoration of Him.  Rest = Lean.

The people rested (leaned) upon Hezekiah’s words that the Lord would fight their battles.  2 Chronicles 32:8

Who is this that cometh up from the wilderness leaning (resting) upon her beloved?  Song of Solomon 8:5

Man feels the need to be doing, but the Battle has already been won by Jesus Christ.  He conquered, overcame all the enemies, including death, hell and the grave.  Do we really believe it?  Hebrews chapter 4 says we must labor to enter into that rest lest we fall into unbelief.  Many times we view scriptures in the Bible as being futuristic only.  Hebrews chapter 4 refers to the Heavenly Rest we will receive once we pass from this earth.  However, it is for us today because this chapter deals with the rest we have in the Holy Ghost.  We must learn to cease from works and rest in Him. 

Satan’s goal according to Daniel 7:25 is to wear out the saints of the most High.  He wants us to exhaust ourselves by constantly doing something.  We easily get caught up in what’s going on around us…we get pressed, oppressed, weary, tired, etc.  Sometimes we are busy with the work of God, exhausting ourselves and justifying our actions because it is for His cause.  Either way, we become restless.  Restlessness (unrest) is an end time spirit to wear us out, so that physically and mentally we won't be able to function to carry out our Lord's plan.

God’s goal is for His people to rest in Him, thereby enabling Him to be glorified and advancing His Kingdom.  The true dying out to self and for the cause is to lay aside our flesh for a time of rest.  Rest is not being lazy or unproductive.  Resting in Him is a deliberate act of placing our trust and confidence in Him.  Let us be diligent to labor to enter that rest. 

As I endeavor to apply the principle of rest to my life, I asked God to show me how powerful this principle really is.  I have not made any other attempts at fundraising since I sent out the letters to my friends.  Those who know me well know this is highly unusual for me.  By now, I would have exhausted every resource known to mankind in fundraising attempts.  Not this time.  This time I choose to rest and watch God work it out, so that He may be glorified.

Recently, God gave me a small glimpse of what He can do when I rest in Him.  I received an invitation to speak at a large missions-minded church in Louisiana.  I was completely shocked because even though my friend goes there, in all of my visits to Louisiana it never worked out for me to attend church with her.  So it was definitely a “God-thing” to receive the invitation.  I am in AWE of my God!

No comments:

Post a Comment