Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Prayer for Persecuted Church

November 14 is International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church.  I have participated in this event in the past, but with a very casual approach.  Why?  Because I always viewed persecution as something that happens to someone else on the other side of the world.  It did not affect me or my immediate world.  This year's participation will take on a whole new meaning as I prepare for the trip to India.  Until I read the following article, I was completely unaware of persecution in India.  I can not, will not, take a casual approach.  I will pray with fervency and sincerity for my brothers and sisters who are being persecuted.  I wonder...while in India, will I meet any of these brave, precious people who are risking their lives to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ?  I sincerely hope so.  I pray I will "catch" their spirit of boldness and sacrifice.

International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church - November 14, 2010

Most of us can be grateful that we have never been persecuted for our faith.  Maybe we have been laughed at, ignored or thought to be silly because we believe in God.  But most of us have never been beaten, imprisoned or threatened because we follow Christ.  Did you know in other countries that approximately 160 million Christians today are suffering because of their faith in Jesus?  Join with people all over the world on November 14 to pray for all Christians who are suffering for their faith.  Pray for their persecutors.  Pray that the Gospel will spread rapidly in countries where Christians are oppressed and that ungodly regimes will change as their people are changed by the power of God.

Missionary Stanley Scism on Persecution:
Persecution always goes on in India.  It only reaches Western attention when it gets violent.  But always...
   a.  if a kid comes to Jesus Christ, he/she can be thrown out of the house
   b.  if a teen comes to Jesus Christ, his/her parents can refuse to pay his/her secondary education
   c.  if an employee comes to Jesus Christ, he/she can be fired
   d.  if a family who rent their home comes to Jesus Christ, they can be evicted
   e.  if a wife comes to Jesus Christ, she can be thrown out of the house.

Persecution is happening in India again now.  One of our pastors is arriving late to Bible college because he's being harassed for his evangelism, even though the constitution of India guarantees the rights of citizens to propagate their faith.  Two of our pastors's homes and churches were destroyed by fire.  A church van was burned and 11 people were killed, our pastors and saints have rocks thrown at them, and saints are having to move to refuge camps for safety.  This is going on right now in India
india 2india 1

No comments:

Post a Comment