Monday, May 27, 2013

Jesus Knows His Name

Recently, I began walking the few blocks from my house to the church in the mornings to pray.  The church is located on the 3rd floor of the building and has a great view of the street below leading to the main road.  I love looking out the window and watching the people because it gives me so much inspiration as I pray for the city of Dhaka and her people.  Today was no exception.

There are several mosques located in the neighborhood and the sounds of the call to prayer is heard multiple times daily.  Beggars are situated near the mosques to beg alms.  This morning, however, there was a beggar located outside the church window.  He was an elderly man, lame in the feet, wearing a once-white loincloth around his waist, a little Muslim cap, and nothing else.  He sat on the ground and held out his hand to people as they passed by, begging alms in a somewhat loud voice. No one gave.  No one stopped.  No one acknowledged his presence.  Then, he did something I will never forget.  He turned his head to the wall behind him and cried real tears of hopelessness, his frail body shaking.  He bent down, grabbed a piece of his loincloth, wiped away his tears, then returned to begging the people passing by.  A few minutes later, he turned again to the wall, dug up a piece of grass from the ground and ate it.  It was heart-wrenching to watch him; he was so pitiful.  Shortly after that, he scooted away, out of my sight.

My heart was pierced as I watched him.  It was the first time I viewed a beggar as a real human being rather than a nuisance.  The tears fell as I wept with compassion for this precious soul.  What was his name?  Did he have family?  Where did he live?  Has he always been lame?  This man was a real human being with a soul that God cared about.  Just like you.  Just like me.

Every time I hear the song, "He Knows My Name" my mind is transported back to this scene where I stood looking out the window in Dhaka, Bangladesh watching a beggar man on the street below me. The emotions and tears of compassion flood me anew.

No. I do not know the beggar man's name or anything else about him.  One thing I do know.  Jesus knows his name.  Jesus knows every move he makes.  Jesus sees every tear the beggar man cries. Jesus feels his overwhelming pain.  When the beggar man can't see the light of day, Jesus is there. Jesus cares.  Jesus loves the beggar man.

The real question is, "How does a Heavenly God demonstrate His love and compassion to such souls on earth?"  Through people...through you...through me.  We don't demonstrate God's love by throwing some money at the beggar's feet as we walk hurriedly by.  We demonstrate God's love when we stop, look the person in the eye, smile and say, "Hello.  How are you?" and then genuinely wait for a response. We demonstrate God's love when we reach out and touch the beggar person.  When we touch another person in an act of compassion, it is like touching the face of God Himself.

How will YOU demonstrate the love of Jesus to someone today?


Photo courtesy of http://banani.sixoranges.net/



1 comment:

  1. Cynthia,
    This story also reminds me of The Parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37). Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete